Handmade Earring Hooks

Hello. First post of 2013 for me. Better late than never!



I've been back to the hard work of planning for the year day-job wise in the architecture and interior design field for a couple of weeks. This time of year is usually quiet in architecture and interior design which allows us to think about plans for the the months to come. The Interior Design game is a tough one at the moment -projects turn over fast so you have to continually feed the hungry machine , and there is a lot of undercutting of fees with clients not understanding what they will or will not get for the money, making it harder to get wins across the line and to get profits - it really is a love job.  These are things I ponder whilst having my jewellery making time, my other love job.



In the Sasha + Max Studio, I have finally ventured into making my own earring hooks, reading lots of "how to's" ( thanks Beth Hemmila for the links on her blog last year -that got me motivated), practising on the cheaper wire first, and then having lots of fun bending sterling wire and getting my hammer out and making lots of noise.


I hope one day to be able to get my skills up to the standard of the husband and wife team of Atlantis Glass and Bead. from who I have bought quite a lot of pairs. This would involve investing in a tumbler to get the fabulous polish and shine, and lots of hammering practice - not sure what the neighbours might think!  The next pair I have made use their gorgeous hooks .Wonderful sensuous curves by AGB contrast with the beads by Humblebeads.


Have a lovely week and I hope to be a regular blog poster again.

Comments

  1. Lovlies, one and all. Earwires are one of the things I really like to make and always in sterling. The ones you've done are really nice. A tumbler is a nice thing to have but you can get that work hardened effect with a rubber mallet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So much for a bead diet ...

Pattern and texture

Colour makes us happy